Thursday, November 8, 2012

At what age should I take my child on a Disney trip?

Pin It Now!

As a Disney travel professional I am asked a lot of questions, but one that I am asked most often is what is the best age to take a child to Disney World?  I always respond that it depends on your family, the child, and your travel expectations.  I personally am a proponent of taking children when they are young to Disney.  I understand that others may feel it won't be as memorable for small children, and would rather wait till the child is older.  There's also the fact of traveling with small children, the extra stuff you have to take, etc.  But I say, if you plan it out, it can be done.

My son was 2 years old on our first trip in Nov. 1995. He would be turning 3 the upcoming Jan. And our daughter was 3 on her first trip in Nov. 2000 (she had just turned 3 in October).  And believe me, they both remember very well their first trips.  We also have many pictures and videos of the trips to keep those memories alive with.  I think the 2 -3 age is the best because everything is still SO magical to them at that age. When they meet the characters, they are really meeting that character, and not just someone dressed up.

I have never thought you should take a small child (baby) to WDW. We had a trip booked for Nov.1997, my daughter would have been almost 2 months old, but we cancelled it. However, after seeing this picture of a baby with Mickey Mouse, I have changed my mind...Just look at that little one's face as she is looking at Mickey. That is what it is all about.

what age is best to take a child to walt disney world

2 comments:

Kelly Hudler said...

We took all 3 grandsons on oour last trip. They are 4, 2, and 1 year old. They may not remember everything about these visits, but I sure will!

Robin Fretwell said...

Kelly, my husband and I were just saying the same thing last night. Talking about how grown up our babies are, but how out of all of our vacations, our WDW memories are most special and we remember everything about them!